When working with images such as profile avatars, you need to have the Python Imaging Library installed, which also means installing the libjpeg library to compile PIL. I found a couple articles here and here but it seemed that only part of each worked for me. Last night I installed everything again on my PowerBook running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4, so I recorded the combination that worked for me:
1. If you haven't already, you must install the Apple Development Tools (XCode).
2. Download and install the Unix software installer Fink. The binary installers for the Mac worked great, both on my Intel and PowerPC machines.
3. Open a Terminal window and type:
And that's it!
- fink install libjpeg
- curl -O http://effbot.org/media/downloads/Imaging-1.1.6.tar.gz
- tar -xzf Imaging-1.1.6.tar.gz
- cd Imaging-1.1.6
- sudo python setup.py install